Thomas J. Madden
Thomas J. Madden, III has a general business, real property and transactional practice emphasizing the areas of transactions involving the sale of real property, vineyard and winery development and the formation, governance and sale of businesses. Mr. Madden also practices in the areas of estate planning and trust administration. Mr. Madden joined the firm as a partner in August 2002. A lifelong resident of northern San Luis Obispo County, Mr. Madden is the senior partner in the firm’s Paso Robles office.
Mr. Madden has a general business practice. The focus of his work is in the areas of estate planning and trust administration, transactions involving the sale of real property, vineyard and winery development and the formation, governance and sale of business.
Examples of Mr. Madden’s legal work include:
- Counseling Vina Robles Winery and its owners in the development and operation of both its winery and amphitheater businesses
- Represented Gary Eberle in the restructuring of the ownership of Eberle Winery which resulted in Mr. Eberle gaining majority control of the business
- Represented the owners of Compli, Inc., a wine compliance business, from formation through the sale of the business to a publicly traded company
- Ongoing representation of the owners of dozens of wineries and the owners of thousands of acres of premium vineyards and vineyard properties
- Represented the owners of the Apple Farm Inn and the historic Motel Inn site in the sale of the properties for a record amount
- Represented the Hall Family in the sale of Robert Hall Winery to the O’Neil Family
- Represented the owners of numerous hotel properties in the acquisition and sale of lodging properties including the sale of the Paso Robles Inn to the Martin Family, the restructuring of the ownership of La Cuesta Inn, and numerous other coastal lodging properties, in the sale of their business
- Represented the owners of Chronic Cellars in the sale of their business
- Represented the owners of Four Vines Winery in the sale of their business
- Ongoing representation on a pro bono basis of the Paso Robles Vintners and Wine Country Alliance
PRIOR WORK HISTORY
Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Madden practiced with the San Jose law firm of Berliner, Cohen & Biagini. In 1990, Mr. Madden joined Sinsheimer, Schiebelhut & Baggett in San Luis Obispo, where he became a partner in 1995. Mr. Madden left that firm to form his own practice, Law Offices of Thomas J. Madden, in 2001. In August 2002 he joined Adamski Moroski Madden Cumberland & Green LLP.
Bachelor of Arts, University of Santa Clara
Juris Doctor, University of Santa Clara
Mr. Madden is a member of the California State Bar and the Bar Association of San Luis Obispo County. Mr. Madden is active in North San Luis Obispo County business and civic affairs. Mr. Madden is a founding Chair with Matt Brynildson of the highly acclaimed Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival. Mr. Madden is past Chair of the Paso Robles Pioneer Day Committee for 2015-2017 and a current board member. In 2015, Mr. Madden chaired a group that founded and put on the Santa Margarita Antique Equipment Show to benefit Pioneer Day. Mr. Madden was co-Chair of the 2005 and 2006 Paso Robles Wine Festival, is past President of the Boys and Girls Club of North San Luis Obispo County, a former founding director of the Children’s Museum at the Paso Robles Volunteer Firehouse, a former Director of the Heidrick Ag. History Center in Woodland, California, and the Economic Vitality Corporation of SLO County, a former Director of the Cuesta College Foundation, and numerous other nonprofit entities. Mr. Madden is a former board member of First Bank of San Luis Obispo and a former Director and Chairman of the board of American Perspective Bank.
Mr. Madden lives with his wife Lori in Paso Robles.