Martin P. Moroski
Martin (“Marty”) Moroski is a founding partner of the firm. The focus of Mr. Moroski’s practice is litigation and trials in matters involving business, contract, employment, fiduciary, insurance, intellectual property, real property and trust disputes. He has tried cases to verdict and judgment in both federal and state courts. Mr. Moroski’s clients are large, medium and small businesses and their owners. A graduate of Stanford University and Hastings College of the Law, Mr. Moroski is peer rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
LITIGATION AND TRIAL EXPERIENCE
In addition to his trials and arbitrations, Mr. Moroski has directed all aspects of the litigation process in the cases he has handled. The cases he has handled include both individual and class actions. Representative cases in each of Mr. Moroski’s practice areas are summarized below.
Business And Contract
- Tried and obtained defense jury verdicts for local Harbor District in case involving alleged breaches of commercial leases
- Tried and obtained defense judgment on complaint, and recovery on cross-complaint, for family farm operation client in a case alleging contract breach and fraud
- Tried and obtained defense judgment on behalf of wine industry consulting firm sued for alleged breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation
- Tried and obtained money judgment for lessor client in breach of commercial lease case
- Tried (binding arbitration) landlord client’s dispute with its national banking tenant over the fair rental due under the parties’ ground lease
- Tried and obtained favorable rulings for trustee client on multiple contested petitions in trust proceeding, including client trustee’s petitions to approve accounts and beneficiary’s petition to remove client trustee
- Tried (binding arbitration) case that involved the wrongful termination of distributorship agreement
- Litigated and favorably settled case arising out of attempted termination of contract to manage oil and gas lease operation in Santa Barbara County
- Litigated and favorably settled breach of warranty case on behalf of client, a water service company, against manufacturer of multi-million-dollar water filtration system
- Represented minority general partner in lawsuit to dissolve the Golden State Warriors partnership, resulting in client emerging as sole owner of the NBA franchise
- Co-counsel for individual directors of publicly traded community bank in putative class action arising out of successful merger transaction
- Co-counsel for defendant annuity company in one of the first-class action cases to be tried in San Luis Obispo County Superior Court
- Tried and obtained defense verdict for winery employer in sexual harassment case
- Tried and obtained defense judgment for public utility in wrongful termination case
- Successfully defended employer in punitive damages phase ($0 punitive damages) at trial in dual sexual harassment case
- Defended and successfully settled sex harassment and retaliation claim against former Chief Administrative Officer of San Luis Obispo County
- Successfully responded to appeal on behalf of the Golden State Warriors from order dismissing discrimination suit filed by Latrell Sprewell in federal court
Intellectual Property And Real Property
- Successfully defended trade secret misappropriation claims in two separate trials
- Co-tried case on behalf of plaintiff where federal court awarded record setting (at the time) judgment against defendant for cyber theft of sex.com domain name
- Tried and obtained favorable judgment in case alleging violation of commercial subdivision CC&Rs
PRIOR WORK HISTORY
Following his graduation from law school, Mr. Moroski worked as a litigator at the San Francisco office of Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold. Mr. Moroski was a partner at the San Luis Obispo firm Sinsheimer Schiebelhut & Baggett before forming Adamski Moroski Madden Cumberland & Green LLP in 2001.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, ADMISSIONS, STANDING
Mr. Moroski is a member of the California Bar Association and the San Luis Obispo Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in all trial and appellate Courts in the State of California, in the United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California, and in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. For over twenty years, Mr. Moroski has held a peer review rating of AV® from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer review rating given to attorneys based on their legal abilities and ethical standards.
TEACHING AND SPEAKING
Mr. Moroski has taught business law at the Orfalea College of Business at Cal Poly. He has spoken and lectured on a range of legal issues to the San Luis Obispo County Bar Association, local business and trade organizations and the Practicing Law Institute.
Bachelor of Arts (History), Stanford University
Juris Doctor, UC San Francisco (formerly Hastings) College of the Law
Mr. Moroski lives in San Luis Obispo with his wife, Diane (Hastings, J.D.). Marty and Diane have two adult children, Rachel and Martin, and are active in the San Luis Obispo County nonprofit community.
Mr. Moroski is a student of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu karate (American Shorin Ryu Federation), achieving the rank of fifth degree black belt (Go-Dan). A lifelong participant in and fan of sports, he was inducted into the Marin Athletic Foundation Hall of Fame in 1992.