Martin (“Marty”) Moroski is a founding partner of the firm. The focus of Marty’s practice is litigation and trials in matters involving business, contract, employment, fiduciary, insurance, intellectual property, real property and trust disputes. He has tried cases to verdict and judgment in both federal and state courts. Marty’s clients are large, medium and small businesses and their owners. A graduate of Stanford University and Hastings College of the Law, Marty is peer rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
In addition to his trials and arbitrations, Marty Moroski has directed all aspects of the litigation process in the cases he has handled. The cases he has handled include both individual and class actions. Representative cases in each of Marty’s practice areas are summarized below.
Business And Contract
- Tried and obtained defense jury verdicts for local Harbor District in case involving alleged breaches of commercial leases.
- Tried and obtained defense judgment on complaint, and recovery on cross-complaint, for family farm operation client in a case alleging contract breach and fraud.
- Tried and obtained defense judgment on behalf of wine industry consulting firm sued for alleged breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation.
- Tried (binding arbitration) landlord client’s dispute with its national banking tenant over the fair rental due under the parties’ ground lease.
- Tried and obtained ruling in favor of two successor trustee clients in trust proceeding involving objections filed by two beneficiaries.
- Tried (binding arbitration) case that involved the wrongful termination of an exclusive distributorship agreement.
- Litigated and favorably settled case arising out of attempted termination of contract to manage oil and gas lease operation in Santa Barbara County.
- Litigated and favorably settled breach of warranty case on behalf of client, a water service company, against manufacturer of multi-million dollar water filtration system.
- Represented minority general partner in lawsuit to dissolve the Golden State Warriors partnership, resulting in client emerging as sole owner of the NBA franchise.
- Co-counsel for individual directors of publicly traded community bank in putative class action arising out of successful merger transaction.
- Co-counsel for defendant annuity company in one of the first class action cases to be tried in San Luis Obispo County.
- Co-counsel for employer defendant in federal wage and hour class action.
- Tried and obtained defense verdict for winery employer in sexual harassment case.
- Tried and obtained defense judgment for public utility in wrongful termination case.
- Successfully defended employer in punitive damages phase ($0 punitive damages) at trial in dual sexual harassment case.
- Defended and successfully settled sex harassment and retaliation claim against former Chief Administrative Officer of San Luis Obispo County.
- Assisted employer client and co-counsel achieve favorable settlement of wage and hour class action in federal court.
- Successfully responded to appeal on behalf of the Golden State Warriors from order dismissing discrimination suit filed by Latrell Sprewell in federal court.
- Tried and settled (during trial) breach of insurance contract and bad faith claims against bonding company.
- Litigated and favorably settled breach of insurance contract and bad faith action on behalf of insured in federal court.
Intellectual And Real Property
- Successfully defended trade secret misappropriation claims in two separate trials.
- Co-tried case on behalf of plaintiff where federal court awarded record setting (at the time) judgment against defendant for cyber theft of sex.com domain name.
- Tried and obtained favorable judgment in case involving alleged violation of commercial subdivision CC&Rs.
PRIOR WORK HISTORY
Following his graduation from law school, Marty Moroski worked as a litigator at the San Francisco office of Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold. Marty was a partner at the San Luis Obispo firm Sinsheimer Schiebelhut & Baggett before forming Adamski Moroski Madden Cumberland & Green LLP in 2001.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, ADMISSIONS, STANDING
Marty Moroski is a member of the California Bar Association and the San Luis Obispo Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in all trial and appellate Courts in the State of California, in the United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California, and in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. For over twenty years, Marty has held a peer review rating of AV® from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer review rating given to attorneys based on their legal abilities and ethical standards.
TEACHING AND SPEAKING
Marty Moroski is a Lecturer in business law at California Polytechnic State University’s Orfalea College of Business.
Marty has spoken and lectured on a wide range of legal issues to the San Luis Obispo County Bar Association, local business and trade organizations and the Practicing Law Institute.
Bachelor of Arts (History), Stanford University.
Juris Doctor, UC Hastings College of the Law.
Marty Moroski lives in San Luis Obispo with his wife, Diane (Hastings, J.D.). Marty and Diane have two adult children, Rachel and Martin. Marty and Diane are active in the San Luis Obispo County non-profit community.
Marty Moroski is a student of Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu karate (American Shorin Ryu Federation) and holds the rank of fifth degree black belt (Go-Dan). A lifelong participant in and fan of sports, Marty is a member of the Marin Athletic Foundation Hall of Fame.