Jeffrey A. Minnery joined the firm in April 2008 and became a partner in 2014. Mr. Minnery represents clients in the areas of land use, real estate, construction, and various litigation and transactional matters. Mr. Minnery also has experience representing numerous public entities and he is currently District Counsel to the Oceano Community Services District. Mr. Minnery graduated summa cum laude from Santa Clara University School of Law in 2004, where he was an editor of the Santa Clara Law Review and a member of the Trial Team.
Mr. Minnery began his career in a large Bay Area law firm where he represented clients in securities litigation and commercial class action law suits. Since moving to the Central Coast in 2008, Mr. Minnery has focused his practice on the areas of land use, real estate, business transactions, and public entity law. He has successfully prevailed in civil trials and arbitrations and regularly advises clients on business transactional matters. Mr. Minnery also provides on-going legal services for public entity clients such as the Port San Luis Harbor District and the Oceano Community Services District among others.
A sample of Mr. Minnery’s recent matters include:
• Successfully defended the San Luis Obispo Air Pollution Control District (APCD) in a civil trial alleging violations of the Ralph M. Brown Act. The APCD prevailed on all counts.
• Prevailed in arbitration for a client suing to recover damages in a real estate transaction. Mr. Minnery secured a recovery of full damages including an award of attorney fees and costs.
• Represented a mutual water company in a local ground water adjudication resulting in a negotiated stipulated judgment.
• Successfully negotiated settlements in several petroleum contamination matters.
• Arbitrated and prevailed in breach of contract matter for client defending the early termination of a lease and alleging damages.
• Represented clients (both public and private) in eminent domain matters.
PRIOR WORK HISTORY
Before joining AMMCG, Mr. Minnery was an attorney at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP where he practiced in a variety of fields including federal securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits, labor and employment, intellectual property, as well as general commercial matters. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Minnery pursued a career in music as a singer and songwriter.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, ADMISSIONS, STANDING
Mr. Minnery is a member of the California Bar Association and the San Luis Obispo County Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in all Superior Courts and multiple Federal Courts in the State of California. In the community, Mr. Minnery is an active member of the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce and a 2013 graduate of Leadership SLO. In 2009, he was recognized as one of the County’s top “40 under 40” by the Pacific Coast Business Times. Mr. Minnery also serves on the Arroyo Grande Community Hospital Foundation board.
WRITING AND SPEAKING
• Co-Author, Trends in Claims Against Lawyers, Securities Litigation Report (February 2007)
• Co-Author, Liability Issues for Audit Firms – The Risk of Catastrophic Exposure Prompts Calls for Liability Reforms, Securities Litigation Report (April 2007)
• Contributing Author, Current Trends in Federal Securities Litigation, ALI-ABA Post-Graduate Course in Federal Securities Law (June 2007)
• Contributing Author, Current Trends in Federal Securities Litigation, Practicing Law Institute, Securities Litigation and Enforcement Institute (October 2007).
Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D. Earned, 2004, summa cum laude
Ranked 2nd among 230 students
Member of the Order to the Coif
Law Review Editor
Trial Team Member (Winner of Outstanding Oral Advocate)
B.T. Collins Scholarship Award for Public Service
University of Colorado at Boulder, B.S. Journalism, 1995
Mr. Minnery lives San Luis Obispo with his wife and children. He enjoys music and plays guitar and sings in a local rock band.