Mr. Bowman joined AMMCG in 2007 and was named a partner in 2015. His practice areas include wine, beer and spirits law, business and nonprofit advising and litigation and representation of military veterans in appeals before the Department of Veterans Affairs and the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in Washington D.C.
Wine, Beer & Spirits Law
Mr. Bowman works with several wineries and breweries on all facets of their businesses including entity formation, mergers and acquisitions of brands, intellectual property matters and brand protection, licensing, real estate issues, personnel matters and distribution issues. Mr. Bowman also serves on the management committee for the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest, which has been recognized by numerous trade and industry groups as the preeminent beer festival in the United States.
Some of Mr. Bowman’s more interesting projects include:
- Representation of grape sellers and wine producers before the California Department of Food & Agriculture Market Enforcement Branch.
- Represented majority owners of prominent winery in partnership dispute and successfully negotiated buyout of minority owner.
- Represented seller of winery to large national, multi-brand conglomerate and prepared purchase and sale documentation.
- Advised and assisted investors in forming winery brand holding company and associated intellectual property licensing companies.
- Represented seller of wine storage and shipping fulfillment center to large national company.
- Provides general counsel to the Paso Robles Wine County Alliance (“PRWCA”) on Board governance, personnel and contract matters.
- Formed and provides general counsel to the preeminent regional craft brewers trade organization called the Central Coast Brewers Consortium.
- Advised brewery in raising capital for brewery expansion and prepared all documents for admission of new equity members.
- Prepared sponsorship and licensing agreements for brewery’s national marketing campaign.
- Represented seller in multi-million dollar vineyard sale and associated vineyard lease and well-sharing transaction.
- Negotiated and prepared numerous vineyard leases, vineyard management contracts, custom crush agreements, alternating premises agreements and winemaker consultant agreements.
- Represented breweries and wineries in trademark disputes.
Business and Nonprofit Law
Mr. Bowman is an experienced business and nonprofit attorney and has represented businesses and nonprofits on a broad spectrum of matters including entity formation and governance, contract disputes, unfair competition and trade secret issues, intellectual property matters and trademark matters, achieving tax exempt status, fundraising, personnel matters and general operations.
Some of Mr. Bowman’s more interesting business and nonprofit matters include:
- Formed the Central Coast Brewers Consortium, the region’s leading craft beer trade industry group, and currently acts as general counsel.
- Provides general counsel to the Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance, the region’s preeminent wine industry group.
- Advised a nonprofit through the process of converting from a private operating foundation to a public charity.
- Assisted a nonprofit in regaining its tax exempt status after revocation by the IRS and FTB.
- Assisted a nonprofit in converting from a 501(c)(3) organization to a 501(c)(6).
- Represented seller of preschool and daycare business to investment group, including long term executive consultancy agreements and commercial lease.
- Represented national pizza franchisor in trademark dispute with franchisee in Federal Court.
- Advised companies on California’s Oil & Gas lien law.
Military Veterans Benefits Appeals
Mr. Bowman is an accredited Veterans Benefits Attorney with the Department of Veterans Affairs and admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in Washington, D.C. He assists veterans and their families with the daunting task of dealing with the Department of Veterans Affairs on benefit claims denials and adverse disability ratings decisions. Mr. Bowman is also an attorney for the Veterans Pro Bono Consortium.
- Represented Vietnam War era veteran before the Federal Court of Appeal for Veterans Claims and obtained a favorable remand after the VA admitted its failures to adequately assist the veteran.
- Advised widow of fallen soldier on issues pertaining to survivor benefits and burial assistance from the VA.
PRIOR WORK HISTORY
Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Bowman accepted a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Maureen McKenna Goldberg, Senior Associate Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. He then went on to practice in Phoenix, Arizona with the national product liability defense firm Bowman & Brooke LLP.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, ADMISSIONS, STANDING
Mr. Bowman is a member of the California Bar Association and the San Luis Obispo County Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in all Superior Courts and Federal Courts in the State of California. Mr. Bowman is also an accredited Veterans Benefits Attorney with the Department of Veterans Affairs and admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in Washington, D.C.
WRITING AND SPEAKING
Veterans Benefits Eligibility and Claims Process
KSCO AM 1080 Radio – Veterans Law Forum 2015
Trademark Issues For Beer and Wine Producers
Central Coast Craft Brewers Consortium 2015
Grape Purchase Agreements – Contract Formation and Dispute Resolution
Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance Membership Meeting 2013
Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), University of Richmond
Juris Doctor, Roger Williams University School of Law
Mr. Bowman currently resides in Paso Robles. In his spare time, he is an active community member and volunteer. He enjoys coaching youth athletics and is a founding member of the Collegiate Running Association. He is also a volunteer for the Paso Robles Pioneer Day Committee and an avid home brewer.